Sunday, May 10, 2009

Oh My Aching Bones, Part I


In July, 1985, I had just started a new job working in the laboratory at a local hospital. It was an exciting job, something I truly enjoyed. I was a medical transcriptionist for two pathologists. I loved my job. I eventually went to nursing school as a direct result of working in the laboratory. I wanted to be part of the medical team. One day, however, I woke up feeling a little "stiff". When I placed one foot on the floor, then the other, I felt excruciating pain that I had never before experienced. My feet felt like they were on fire. I could barely walk to the bathroom to get ready for work. Every inch of my body hurt. I had severe neck pain. Since my job was new, I decided not to call in sick and hoped that this pain would go away.When I arrived at work, my boss was concerned about the way I was walking. She decided to run a few blood tests on me. Everything came back negative and the mystery continued. I didn't have a cold or flu. I didn't have a fever, sore throat, or runny nose. I just hurt all over. It would be years before I found out what I had, and for years, I went from doctor to doctor trying to find out what was causing my pain. I was prescribed antidepressants, high-dose anti-inflammatory medications (ibuprofen, etc.), and I watched everything I ate. One doctor treated me like a drug addict looking for pain medicines. Unfortunately, the medical community labels people who go from doctor to doctor as drug addicts and hence, the term "drug-seeking" behavior was born. This just adds insult to injury. Doctors can certainly be cruel when they can't figure out what is wrong with a patient. Sometimes it's easier to label a patient than to research and find out what is really going on, especially if the patient appears to be otherwise healthy. And so, it would be another 16 years before I found out what was causing my pain, and an unlikely doctor would solve the puzzle.

No comments:

Post a Comment